The Standard Group Plc is a multi-media organization with investments in media platforms spanning newspaper print operations, television, radio broadcasting, digital and online services, as well as outdoor advertising. The Standard Group is recognized as a leading multi-media house in Kenya with a key influence in matters of national and international interest. Our various media platforms include:
The Standard newspaper, KTN, KTN News, Radio Maisha, The Nairobian weekly newspaper, Think Outdoor (billboard advertising) and Standard Digital.
As part of strengthening our operations, we are looking for smart, creative and ambitious individuals to join our Digital team in the following capacities
Data Scientist Job
Data Scientist Reporting to the Technical and Analytics Manager, the Data Scientist will be responsible for the following;
- Fuse consumer data (analytics) from Standard Digital and third-party platforms, user behaviour and advertising data into actionable recommendation and tools.
- Provide Editorial, Video Production, Social Media, Sales, e-Business and Product development team with actionable insights that will help them to effectively target, engage, and monetize content and customers.
- Gather, organize and “wrangle” large datasets so as to get actionable insights from them.
- Process unstructured data into a form suitable for analysis, utilizing custom applications in order to perform necessary statistical analysis.
- Collaborate with Web Developers to leverage web and mobile platform performance and audience analyses to maximize monetization opportunities and ROI.
- Establish a segmentation framework to benchmark and monitor user engagement across a variety of user groups. Apply statistical clustering methodologies to relevant user behaviour and monetization data to identify actionable user segments and provide insights and recommendations to improve user experience
- Assist in the on-going implementation and optimization of business and revenue analytics and behavioural tools and services in conjunction with Web Developers, Editorial, e-business, social media and video teams which includes providing instrumentation requirements, product integration and data collection against programming optimization tools.
- Enhance and leverage content categorization and taxonomy, as well as monetization related data tools to improve content ROI, including identification of strong content and/or audience sales opportunities.
- Apply statistical expertise to study correlations between platforms, audience segments, topics and monetization metrics in order to deliver highly effective user experiences for consumers, advertisers, and affiliates.
- Develop custom metrics, data related tools and alerts to support editorial and product decision processes.
- Identify key data that’s important to track, and work with Web developers to access it through the APIs available.
- Support business decisions with ad hoc analysis as needed. • Research current trends in the industry and utilizes up-to-date technology and analytical skills to support their assigned project
- Prepare technical reports, presentations, and status briefings to communicate status and results of analysis.
- At least 3 years’ experience working in analytics or data mining, digital marketing or quantitative consulting roles with focus on analysis of large data-sets. Experience with web reporting technologies, app reporting tools, Social Media, SEO analytics and APIs.
Qualifications And Skills:
- A degree in Applied Statistics, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics or related quantitative field from a recognized institution.
- Demonstrated experience building statistical models, lookalike models, and turning data into information.
- Strong knowledge of and experience with classic and new/emerging business intelligence methodologies, data manipulation, database creation, population, maintenance retrieval.
- Experience with, or knowledge of, data visualization and advanced Microsoft Excel remote data access skills.
- Passionate about interpreting data into recommendations and insights with the ability to clearly translate complex information to all layers of the organization.
- Agile & Nimble analytical data junkie who is excited about interpreting data all of the time and learning about what it means and how we can use the info in a news environment.
How to apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Standard Group career website on www.standardmedia.co.ke to apply