Jobs & Careers
Regional Medical Officer job at Marie Stopes International
Regional Medical Officer at Marie Stopes International
Marie Stopes International (MSI) is a marketing-focused resulted oriented social business that uses modern management and marketing techniques to provide quality family planning and reproductive health services in more than 43 countries world-wide. Marie Stopes Kenya (MSK) is a non-profit social business, working with local partners and the government of Kenya to provide quality, affordable and accessible Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) information and services.
Regional Medical Officer Or Clinical Officer
Marie Stopes Outreach teams are a vital part of MSK’s work in Kenya. They enable us to reach communities that would otherwise be un-served by our services. These professionally competent and committed teams offer free, efficient and high quality sexual reproductive health counselling and related services that are inclusive of all needs. As required, they provide referral & linkage to other MSK services. Liaising closely with local stakeholder partners (governmental and non-governmental) the teams build capacity of MoH personnel and work to ensure sustainability beyond the period of their project funding.
Strategic Purpose of the Programme Operations Unit: to ensure excellent delivery all MSK Programme activities and the development and funding of new work.
To provide clinical services and ensure that MSK meets the requisite QTA standards
- Overall quality inputs into service delivery including carrying out LAPM procedures as laid down in the protocols.
- Ensure there is proper and effective use of medical equipment and supplies and for notifying the team leaders of needs for repair, maintenance or replacements etc.
- Continuous monitoring of the other team members involved in service delivery
- Conducting regular internal quality audit checks.
- Responsible for reporting on all major and minor complications arising in the day to day operations.
- Timely recognition of potential medical complications and dealing with or refer them as appropriate.
- Timely and appropriately reporting on all major and minor complications to the MAT
- Establishing clear and concise referral protocols and directories that are routinely updated.
- Providing timely feedback to the team on any gaps identified in the comprehensive treatment cycle.
- Coordinating and administering relevant and timely continuous medical updates to other staff to meet MSK’s operations needs.**
- Develop clear framework for regular clinical updates for all health care staff at the outreach especially with regard to mini laparotomies.
- Preparing and participating fully in Continuous Medical Education (C.M.E.)
- Liaise with the QAM department in supporting regular quality updates at the outreach
- Routinely seek personal professional development in clinical skills and updates to deliver high quality services
- Accurate information is available relating to service delivery and client feedback .
- Conduct regular counselling to all clients in need of LAPM.
- Maintain high quality service delivery data and ensure prompt reporting is achieved in line with MOH and MSK reporting framework
- Respond to data collection needs appropriately
- Proactively seek clients feedback in line with MSK customer focussed approach
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Medicine and Surgery from a recognized university- Medical Officer
- Diploma in Clinical Medicine and surgery.
- Clinical officers with specialties in RH services will be added advantage
- Must have completed 1 year of post internship
- Must be registered with the Medical Practitioners and dentists board/ clinical Officers council and possess a valid Private practice License
- Experience in conducting mini laparotomies such as tubal ligation and vasectomy is an added advantage
- Proven clinical skills and competencies
- I.T skills
- Report writing skills
- Leadership skills
Attitude / Motivation:
Successful performance at MSK is not simply defined in terms of ‘what’ people achieve, but equally is about ‘how’ people go about their jobs and the impact that they have on others. There are 13 key behaviours that MSK encourages in all employees and they are defined below:
- Thinking ahead and taking action to make the most of opportunities by finding the optimum solution
- Thinking creatively and outside of the box so that ideas generated create a positive outcome
- Effective Communication
- Communicating through active listening and good questioning techniques, using appropriate body language, ensuring information is clear and concise.
- Being responsive to changing priorities and demands
- Working Efficiently
- Planning, prioritising and organising work to ensure work is accurate and deadlines are met
- Sharing Information
- Sharing information and knowledge whilst maintaining confidentiality
- Focus on Learning
- Taking responsibility for keeping knowledge and skills updated and for seeking opportunities to develop further
- Awareness and understanding of goals, vision and values and how your role impacts on this and going the extra mile to meet role requirements
- Drive and determination to deliver results
- Taking responsibility for appropriate decisions that you make, and the actions and behaviour you demonstrate
- Embracing Change
- Openness to embracing change within the organisation and being able to adjust plans/activities accordingly
- Motivation towards achieving quality results to maximise potential
- Team Player
- Working as part of a team by being supportive, flexible and showing respect for each other